With the current election and hub bub about proposition 8 I can't help but think, where did all the good people go? In this last election I was tempted to not even vote. I was so discouraged and bothered that both of our candidates were not fit to run our country. I still can't figure out how we got down to Senator McCain and our now President Obama. We didn't really even start out with that many great candidates. However I decided that it was important to vote for the lesser of the two evils even if my vote wouldn't do anything in a always republican state. (which I am grateful for) It seems as if the American people would rather have a GQ looking president than an old man who honestly isn't that pleasant to look at. Senator McCain can't raise his hands above his shoulders from being tortured in the war, was that disturbing to people? Did it bother us that we might have an old man who didn't have as flowery of speeches or as good of looks be our president? Did that make people look past his passion and love for our Country and his political ideals?
We can also see that history repeats itself. We were quicker to give blacks the right to vote than we were to give it to women. Just like we would rather have someone of a different race as our president than a woman. Hilary Clinton was too manly of a woman and Sarah Palin too much of a women. It seems as if a woman does not have a chance at being president because we are either to masculine or too feminine. Her $150,000 dollar shopping spree on her campaign wardrobe leaked into the media and that was it for her. Even if a woman with a happy medium were to campaign I doubt she would make it because it is easier to find faults in a woman.
Proposition 8 has also brought to my attention so many people that I can barely believe would behave in the way that they do. A close friend of mines mother who worked in LA worked for the proposition 8 campaign and as she and a couple of her friends left the LA temple they were verbally attacked and threatened by a crowd of homosexuals. They even went as far as to throw things at the buildings and threaten their lives. How is this fair? If it had not passed would we be doing this? And how did it get turned around as being the LDS religions fault that it passed. I have a friend who is homosexual who actually voted for prop 8 and lots of other friends who are not of the LDS faith that voted for prop 8. Our church wasn't even the first to stand up and support prop 8, the Catholic church was. Yet they are not recieving any consequences from it. I am so glad prop 8 passed and I hope it will last. I dread the direction our country may be going in but I know that whatever happens the Lord will have his hand in it to guid and protect us if we are righteous. I will support the president only because I love this country and hope that with the series of checks and balances we have in place it won't be screwed up to badly. Who knows maybe socialism wont be that bad after all....
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Where'd All the Good People Go?
Posted by
Unknown
at
5:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
You are one gutsy little girl, Steph! Don't lose that. Love, Aunt Judy
Post a Comment